Explosives Trade — Critical Analysis
- Multitude of questions about the ability of a Central agency to monitor all explosive substances everywhere in the country.
- PESO has its headquarters in Nagpur and it is responsible for the administration of a host of laws pertaining to the regulation of explosives. These include the Explosives Act, 1884; the Inflammable Substances Act, 1952 and the Explosives Rules, 2008.
- In 2011, the agency announced plans to computerise its operations but that project still appears to be a work in progress.
- At the district level, the police and the Collector have access to a portal that features data on the sale of all explosive materials through legal vendors, but a system is yet to be worked out for a real-time tracing and tracking programme.
- A short-staffed central government body that functions under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- A better system should enable a process of decentralisation by allowing States to make their own laws to regulate explosives and have an Explosives Control Bureau, like the Narcotics Control Bureau. Such a step, that will allow the States to take control of what happens in their own backyard, is overdue.
- After taking licence many laws are broken and this is more prevelant in mining areas.
- Negligence by District administration as the explosive has been stored in residential areas and no regular monitoring by District admin.
- PESO has five zones–. For illegal trade , the traders try to avoid the difficult procedure for licence by PESO.
- Illegal mining is intrinsically linked to illegal storage of explosive.
- Gelatin has also been used to spread terrorist activities. Naxalites have been found to use Gelatin on large scale in MP, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Chattisgarh.
What is Gelatin?
- Alfred Nobel discovered Dynamite– for making tunnels and roads.
- Gelatin is a Nitrocellulose or Guncotton explosive.
- Very sensitive explosive which is made by breaking into Nitroglycerine or Nitroglycol along with the use of wood.
- To make Gelatin explode, it requires Detonators which as a trigger for explosion. Detonator also increases the strength of explosion.
- Gelatin rods needs to be stored in Gunny bags so that the blast is less intense
Gelatin is used to
- Level old buildings to ground.
- Explode the hills
- Making roads.
- Well Digging
Trade of Explosives
- Regulated under Explosives Act,1884.
- After Amendment in 2008, new provisions have been added.
- Affiliated Licence is required for trade.
- It is necessary to inform administration and police for both transportation and trade.
But official apathy, corruption and collusion has led to this point.
To know more, go here