Death of Children in Odisha
In 5 years ,5093 children have died in a single Government Hospital in Odisha.
Why there are so many deaths of children in Government Hospitals of Odisha?
Orissa has very weak health facilities from primary to tertiary levels
- Non attention to poor children
- Health Services like medicine, instruments are not there for new born care (premature baby ).
- Deficiency of Skilled workers like doctors, Nurses , Health assistants.
- Absence of proper training of health staff.
- Infrastructure is inadequate
- Absence of doctors and labs are closed during evening and night hours.
Poverty and malnutrition are its basic causes
Hospital is saying that the most of the deaths are caused due to Birth Asphyxia and rest of the deaths were attributed to Neonatal sepsis(infection of blood).Birth asphyxia is the medical condition resulting from deprivation of oxygen to a newborn infant that lasts long enough during the birth process to cause physical harm, usually to the brain.
Picture of India as a whole
- 71% of deaths in 8 states
- IMR à 40,Odisha is expected to have 54 IMR in 2015(In tribal areas, it is even more)
- Korapur-Bolangir and Kalahandi most backward
- Spending on health is less than 2 % (1.36% of GDP in 2012-13) while USA spends 8.3% of GDP on Health and China spends 3% of GDP on health(same as srilanka)
- Indian is spending only 62 $ per person on health while Srilanka is spending 93$ and Norway spends 9908$.
- India’s malnourished children are even more than Africa and anaemic children are also in huge numbers
- India à 7 beds per 10k people while Brazil,China and Russia has 23,38 and 97 beds per 10k people.
- World Avg of Doctors per 10k people à13 .In India , it is 7.
- Only 17% of people have health insurance.
- Need to spend more than 3% of GDP on health
- Incentivise health workers to tell if they find some unusual disease in a particular region.
For more details click http://decipherias.com/currentaffairs/building-a-comprehensive-healthcare-system/